Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Another Black Graduate


I am a 57 year old Black man. As a young man I was by most folks opinion CRAZY. But through the years I have mellowed, and I've been truly blessed. I can remember as though it was yesterday. Seventeen years old and standing among thousands of people on Lockhart Road in Hong Kong China. It was at that moment I realized there was a completely different world away from the hood, and from that day on I became Mr. Hyde.


Somehow after a couple of years I met Valerie Day. I say somehow because I did not deserve this woman. But we met, fell in love, and started a family. After 33 years and some bumpy road we are still together. The children are grown, and there are two grandchildren. I have to honestly say that I never thought this day would come.


But I wouldn't do it any other way. I am blessed to have three children that no man or woman could be prouder of. First born is Stephen, then Stephenie, and then Ian.


I've been blessed that my children have never given me or their mother a reason to be ashamed of. No gangs, no drugs (well no heavy drugs), No problems other than the norm for teenagers.


Next month Val and I will be even prouder when the first of three children walks across the stage to receive their diploma.


Ian Hamilton Williams will graduate from the University of Colorado on December 18th 2010, with a Bachelors of Fine Arts in Film.


Ian got his start his first year of high school with the help of director and producer Donnie Betts. Donnie helped Ian win the Oscar Brown Jr scholarship with a short film that was shown at the Starz Film Festival, and The Pan African Film Festival. After a year at Clark Atlanta University, Ian decided to come back home, and enrolled at CU. This past summer Ian released his latest film entitled Mile High (check Youtube). I had hoped he would have taken to the trumpet, but after a few school concerts we all were in agreement that music may not be the way out for Ian.


It didn't bother me though. Young son worked his butt off to graduate early. After many nights of sweating, nose running, convulsing, head aches and more over the dinner table doing homework Ian got it done.


We did it Mommie (Val). We got another young Black man through college. A feat that is damn near impossible these days.


So to Ian I say well done young man. Your Mom and Pops are proud of you, and can't wait for your move to the next level.


And lastly, I love you son. I always knew you could do it, especially when you thought you couldn't. OOh Rah!



No comments: