Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Fear Not Jakarta Fans, The Rumor of Our Death Has Been Greatly Exaggerated.


THE JAKARTA NEWS

Jan 19th 2011


I know you may be confused having heard the rumors that Jakarta has broken up. Well that's just not true. The band is gigging and playing better than ever.


The group of impostor's at Little Bear Saloon a couple of weeks ago claiming to be Jakarta is just the figment of someone's twisted imagination.


In fact, there never was a chance of the band breaking up. We had some internal problems that needed to be cleared up. Now that we have that under control it's full steam ahead for The Jakarta Band.


The band has been rehearsing a new show, and hopefully we'll have it all down for the opening of the spring season. For the next few months the band will be working with choreographers to hone our dancing skills, and onstage performance, while making sure we are up on the latest groove for your dancing, and listening pleasure.


Jakarta has also started work on our first original CD project. Working in conjunction with Ira Sweetwine of Sweetwine Entertainment Group, and Chris Starkey of Starkey Productions, and others, we are preparing to make a change in our direction. Not only will Jakarta continue to throw down for our corporate, private, and wedding clients, the band will start hitting the road for selected festivals around the country.


I'd like to take this time to thank my good friend and little sister Vonnie B.(Yvonne Brown for those of you that don't know), for subbing for Selina for the months of December, and January. Girl you know how to do that thing. Love Ya!


Also more good news. Jakarta has been contracted once again to represent AT&T for the Democratic, and Republican Conventions in 2012. Shweet!


Our next show for the public will be Jan. 28th & 29th at Rhythms, and Feb. 19th at Jazz@Jacks. Please check the Jakarta Calendar. We want to see you all there.


But right now I'd like to introduce you to Gabe Steele. The newest member of Jakarta.


Gabe will be taking the reins on bass, and lead/background vocals. I could go on and on, but I'll let Gabe tell you little bit about himself.


Peace!


The Jakarta Band Welcomes Gabe Steele.



I grew up in Wyoming

I attending U.W. for two years as a music major (on a vocal scholarship... not yet a bassist)

I started playing Bass at 19 years old. Both electric and stand-up ("double" bass)

I transferred to Regis University in Denver and pursued computer science. (a family field for me)

While at Regis, I took bass lessons from Scott Smith.

During and after college I played many theatrical productions in the Denver area including shows at theTheatre on Broadway, Littleton Town Hall, The Arvada Center, The Galleria Theatre, and the DCPA.

I met Mitch Jervis while in college. Mitch and I have done several projects together over the years, including contemporary country, classic rock, blues, and jazz.

Over the last ten years, I have done two national tours and over a thousand live gigs with multiple bands.

I have done numerous studio dates for almost every type of music, adding bass and vocals to local projects.

Along with playing bass, I am regularly hired to add "tenor" vocals to projects. I have sang harmony vocals in everything from barbershop quartets to rock bands. I got to sing in Carnegie Hall in NYC (collegiate choir) which was pretty cool!! My vocal ability has helped me out a lot along the way in my music career.

Check the Jakarta calendar HERE.

PEACE, LOVE AND SOUL!


No comments: