Monday, August 24, 2009

Day/Wilburn Dueling Dinners 08/23/09



Wilburn Dueling Dinners 08/23/09


Well it turned out to be a great weekend. Yesterday I did Dueling Dinners with my Bro' in-law JD back in Maryland. Jim's nickname is OBJ. Old Black Jim the Cook. 


We call him that because of his culinary expertise. The brother can burn. Scald sky high. Can put his foot in it. You know, cook his ass off! 


JD is usually cooking something up every weekend. So I decided to duel and see if I could match his perennial favorite, BBQ Brisket. 


I started out at 9:00AM by soaking my chips. I did hickory instead of mesquite this time. Don't know why. I think I just picked up the wrong bag. Anyway, got the chips soaked and started my fire. I learned to make a great BBQ sauce from my Dad years ago but I haven't done that in a long time. I usually end up using a bottled BBQ sauce and modify it to my liking. But this time I did "Shag  Sauce". This is a sauce created by my father in-law JD Sr. I can't tell you what he or I use to modify our sauces, but I will say in my case green chiles, and jalapeños are involved. Enter the ribs at 9:45. These I smoked until 11:30. Then over the fire, seared for about 30 minutes then introduced to the pot. With my ribs done I did burgers, chicken wings, and Italian sausages for the kids, and did a nice NY Strip for Mommie, and choice tenderloin for myself.


So here ya go! Dueling Dinners from Denver Co..  Ribs, Burgers, Chicken Wings, Italian sausages, NY strip, Filet mignon along with Potato Salad, Baked Beans, Collared Greens, Spinach Salad, A Day in The Life "Wes Montgomery", Grape Koolaid, and a taste of Tequila on the side.


Bon Appetite. PEACE! 




Jim Day Dueling Dinners 08/23/09


I was calling to check on my sister Sunday morning because the previous day, she had experience a bad flare up of her arthritis.  My brother in-law answered the phone and said Val was unavailable at the moment and we began to chat as we regularly do—we have a great relationship.  In the course of our discussion the subject of Sunday dinner and the menu(s) came up.  As it turned out, we were both grilling...in our community certainly amongst my generation, you take your skills at the grill seriously.  It is part pride in your craft i.e., understanding technique which is passed down from generation to generation, controlling the fire, how to smoke with wood etc. and creating a slam’in bar-b-que sauce, which is another subject.  Well it was on then—the Sunday dinner challenge.  We agreed it was about the celebration of our families especially in these difficult times and the tradition of gathering at someone’s home for a good home cooked meal, usually following church.  Our menu here on the east coast featured; Maryland farm fresh green beans we got from our local farmer’s market, hickory smoked beef brisket, grilled chicken, bratwurst and hotdogs, scalloped potatoes, cornbread, beautiful sweet tea and cupcakes for desert.   I can’t say how good the meal was in Denver but our effort would be hard to beat—check out the photos.

 

JD


Well there you have it. Our first of many Dueling Dinners. It made for a great day to spend with family even if we are 2000 miles apart. All I know is after dinner it was time to unbuckle the belt, get a toothpick, and squeeze in a little snooze.


That would be called old Negro man's Disease! 


But with all the sh*t talking back and forth, I think my sister in-law Michelle put it best.


"We had slap your momma food"!


You all have a great and blessed day. PEACE!


No comments: