Thursday, August 20, 2009

The KINGDOM CLARION



By Larry W. King

Volume II, Number XX

August 16, 2009

 

 

Broken Yet Fixed!

“The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.  You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.  My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.” – Psalm 51:17 (New Living Translation); Psalm 57:7 (KJV)

 

As a singer and musician, I am quite fond of the entire book of Psalms, which is essentially a lyrics file authored by various ancient songwriters, including (among others) King David and Asaph, the chief musician.  Asaph, Heman and Jeduthun were leaders of the special class of Levites (Jewish priests) specifically assigned to provide worship music and singing in the temple and elsewhere.  The first half of our text comes from the 51st Psalm, often called “The Penitent’s Psalm”, which is my very favorite of all 150 Psalms.  At some point, I’ll likely dedicate an entire Clarion to it, but in the meantime here’s a thumbnail sketch.

King David wrote the 51st Psalm after the Lord sent Nathan the prophet to confront David regarding his wanton lust for Bathsheba, his flagrant adultery with her and his subterfuge devolved into conspiracy to murder her husband, Uriah the Hittite – a foot soldier in the King’s warring army (see II Samuel, chapters 11 and 12).  The 51st is a masterpiece of repentant prose from beginning to end, and many songs have been spawned from its rich text.  Cherished reader, I urge you to read and ponder Psalm 51 in its entirety.  I am convinced that a powerful blessing awaits you!  Here are a few excerpts to whet your appetite (from the King James Version):

“Have mercy upon me, O God … according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies, blot out my transgressions” – v1.

“… I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.  Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom” – v5-6.

“Create in me a clean heart, O God: and renew a right spirit within me.  Cast me not away from thy presence: and take not thy holy spirit from me.  Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation: and uphold me with thy free spirit” – v10-12.

“O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise” – v15.

Is there any doubt that David was truly sorry for his sins?  Can you see why God said “… I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will” (Acts 13:22b)?  In part, it’s because once David truly faces the gravity (and consequences) of his sinful actions, he is heartbroken.   David realizes that through his selfish behavior he’s failed God, ruined his family and imperiled his kingdom.  He sincerely wants forgiveness and restoration.  And that’s EXACTLY what God wants from us!

The 57th Psalm was actually written before the 51st.  It comes from a time prior to David becoming monarch over Israel, when he was being pursued by King Saul.  Early on, Saul had recognized that the Spirit of the Lord was upon David.  Indeed, it was David - the young shepherd boy and skillful instrumentalist - who played the evil spirit out of King Saul with his lyre. The future king was first a musician, singer, songwriter and dancer.  WAAAY KEWL! 

But the slingshot-wielding giant killer had grown up to become a skillful, battle-tested warrior, of whom Jerusalem’s women sang, “Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his TEN thousands” – I Samuel 18:7b (KJV).  Needless to say, King Saul was NOT a happy camper when it came to the adult David; the upstart soldier bidding to usurp his throne.  Yet, even as David hides out in the lonely cave of Adullam, being hunted down by Saul’s minions, he writes: “my heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed.  I will sing and give praise”.  Say what?!?!?

God grant that, regardless of circumstances, each of US should be so determined in our faith; so unyielding in our zeal for the Lord; so steadfast in our daily walk with Him!  Why aren’t WE – who live under the grace of the cross of Christ, and have the awesome power of the Holy Ghost within us – convicted like David?  Shouldn’t WE too give our gracious and loving Lord joyous psalms of praise and worship at ALL times?  Why aren’t OUR hearts equally broken and contrite before Him? 

Was David so different from you and me?  Dear reader, I submit to you that he was NOT.  The same Spirit which rested mightily upon David, King of Israel, is also living and active in each of us.  What an inspiring thought!  We have the power to sing like David sang, to dance like David danced and to praise God just like David did.  Every one of US can sing with David, “I will bless the Lord at all times.  His praise shall continually be in my mouth” – Psalm 34:1.  Hallelujah!  God is GREAT!

So, my prayer for each of you is that as you live every day wholly consumed by the wondrous, life-changing power of the Holy Spirit, and that your hearts – like David’s - will be broken yet fixed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry W. King is a graduate of the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music (Magna cum Laude) and heads the Denver-based music group, Kingdom Kru.  He serves as Minister of Music at Faith Community Baptist Church under the leadership of co-pastors Rev. Douglas and Katherine Farley.

No comments: